Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wednesday's Assignment

high key photo by scookster
high key photo, a photo by scookster on Flickr.
Make a high key photograph today.
Naturally, I have no idea how to do a high key photograph.   I looked the term up and it has something to do the image's key tone as being high instead of mid-tone.  Looked at many examples and lots of how-to's. Most of the examples had to do with portraits and black and white.  I really wanted to do a flower as I don't have any people around the house volunteering to have their picture taken.  One of the how-to's gave me some step by step instructions.  So I stopped over at a nearby fabric store to pick up some items.  First I needed to set up a light tent (more $$$ that I need to spend I guess).  I found some flimsy white material to act as my light tent.  When I arrived home I set up the fabric over an end table.  Used the exterior light which was coming through the patio door and set up a lamp on the other side.  That way I had two areas of light going through the fabric which lends itself to soft lighting around the object, lighting the subject and background evenly.  Then I took one of the flowers that I bought yesterday and propped it up against a piece of green paper.  Now, the tricky part.  The how-to suggested using the manual setting and experimenting with f-stop and aperture.  To me it just means moving the dial left and right.  One thing it did mention was that the tones would be bright and there would be little or no shadows.   When looking at the histogram for this photo the graph appears on the far right indicating there are no shadows or dark areas.  At least I can say I know what that means- but have I been successful in doing a high key photo?  Who knows.  Really should have taken a picture of my light tent so that when I become famous I can look back on my first endeavors!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment