Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 3

Giant Butterfly by scookster
Giant Butterfly, a photo by scookster on Flickr.
Play with contrasting scale today: juxtapose something small with something big.

There are several problems with making my backyard a bird sanctuary- one of them being the issues of birds flying smack dab into the windows and knocking themselves senseless. I had to put decals on my kitchen windows years ago as I've always had a feeder there. Every once-in-awhile a bird will still fly into those windows.  The decals must reflect enough so that the birds realize the window is actually stationary, not a reflection of another bird. Unfortunately, washing those windows is an ordeal as I must remove the decals, wash the windows, and then reapply them.  The store where I get my bird feeders/food was selling these huge 3D butterflies that I could just attach with suction cups. A great idea for when I need to wash my windows.  I purchased 2 sets as they only come in a set of three. Unfortunately, even though I had 5 on one of the sliding glass doors a baby downy woodpecker flew right into the window.  I think he was just dazed as he/she eventually flew off but I was devastated as this was the first year I've had downy woodpeckers.  Haven't seen the baby in awhile though, but am hoping he just flew the coop. And if they don't keep the birds safe they look pretty, so I guess I could say they have a dual purpose.  Haven't seen many butterflies this year but then again maybe it's too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment