Saturday, July 2, 2011

July 2

Another flower by scookster
Another flower, a photo by scookster on Flickr.
Feature a plant in your photograph today.

So grateful that I was able to go to the Garfield Park Conservatory this week.  Had never been there and my very two best friends decided to take me on a tour of the west side of Chicago so that I could visit it.  I think I am a well traveled Chicago-ite.  I know how to get from point A to point B and I am well aware of the areas of Chicago that I shouldn't visit by myself or at night.  But they thought it would be great fun to get on the Green Line in Oak Park and take a short ride into the west side of Chicago.  So hanging onto my camera and keeping it close to my body, we get off of the Green Line a block away from the conservatory.  It would be just my luck to be one of those unlucky people who've been accosted for no reason this summer.  Take my wallet; take my phone;  but don't take my Nikon!!!  Anyway, the conservatory is a collection of a huge variety of plants- some native, some tropical, some weird looking stuff.  Being a novice photographer, one of the things that I neglected to do was to take a picture of the name of the plant that I was photographing. Have no idea what this plant was except that it was in the fern room.  Kind of looks like a lily but that's a wild guess.  All of the flowers were drooping so I had to get low to take this shot. Had my telephoto lens with me which was really a necessity as some of the plants were quite tall.  A macro lens would have been great too but that would involve me getting on the ground and my joints are not working too well lately.

So glad we went on Wednesday as the storm on Thursday caused great damage to their glass windows.  Unfortunately, the conservatory is closed indefinitely :(

No comments:

Post a Comment