Tuesday, November 29, 2011

ODC: Thankful

ODC: Thankful by scookster
ODC: Thankful, a photo by scookster on Flickr.

So here's a quandary- who's the thankful one? Is it me or the dog? Could be either if you really think about it. I tried to get some today shots of Jax but he wouldn't stand still, and not being exactly trained at this point in his life he ignored my commands. Having had several dogs over the years I can truly say that I am thankful for the relationships that I had with them. Each was so different yet they were my constant companion, my protector, my foot warmer. Jax may well be our last dog, for as we enter our senior years I'm not so sure that I am ready to take on a new challenge. I absolutely love this breed of retrievers but he hasn't exactly been an easy dog to deal with. Over the years he's been less and less socialized as his reaction to others, especially men, has been less than positive. Even though he was a "fraternity" dog he became quite wary of people and would lash out at the slightest provocation. We hung onto him though and sheltered him from situations for the most part, although we've had a couple of close calls. So I thank Jax for his undying loyalty and companionship.  Unfortunately he too is entering his own golden years, and I dread the fact that the rainbow bridge may be looming near.

No comments:

Post a Comment