Saturday, November 19, 2011

Scavenger Hunt #2

a photo by scookster on Flickr.
The second item of the Scavenger Hunt was to take a picture of a non-human creature's home.

This paper wasp nest had been hanging from out neighbor's tree for sometime. When my dh first pointed it out to me  I was beside myself.  All I could think about was getting it down and putting it in our display case at school.  I had been unable to find a suitable specimen for the case, even though my assistant had added an assortment of snake skins, raccoon heads and turtle shells.  This was a great find and when my neighbor finally cut it down I couldn't believe the intricacy of the work behind the creation of this nest.  Of course, there were tons of empty egg shells (I hoped) and when I put it in my car for a couple of days I had hoped there were no dormant wasps awaiting resurrection.  Wouldn't it be interesting to watch the wasps actually build the nest but unfortunately it's usually built before I'd notice it. The skin of this nest is a multicolored assortment of red, grey and brown paper with a modest getaway hole at the bottom.  The inside of the nest was just as interesting as the outside, but for whatever reason I neglected to take a decent picture of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment