Friday, March 23, 2012

Macro Mondays: Periodic Table

Macro Mondays: Periodic Table by scookster

Copper
Cu
Atomic Number 29
Brought my macro lens to school today thinking I could find something of use in the science lab. I was able to find some sodium and mercury in its original form but it wasn't as interesting as this copper wire.  We tried getting some good shots of the sodium when it was first cut.  Here's a photo of that:


The pieces are shiny once they are first cut but then the air oxidizes the surface quickly.  So difficult trying to get a shot with auto focus as the auto zoom keeps zooming in and out and I'm not confident enough in my vision to deselect that feature of the camera.  But then Mz Science teacher decided to see if we could capture the reaction when a piece is dropped in water.  Wasn't too sure how close I could get to pick up the action but here's what I caught:


But then I decided to check out the supply of mercury.  Remembering all of the times that I played with mercury on the floor- break a thermometer and watch the mercury roll from one end of the room to the other.  But now we must protect ourselves from the dangers of mercury.  Well ventilated, don't breath and shoot the picture.  So with kid gloves I pour a small amount in a bowl and watched it roll into the center of the dish.  That too was less than interesting.  But here it is anyway:


Wish I had thought to place it on a different background but I was too worried about getting the shot and holding my breath at the same time.  Glad I didn't pass a little gas.  We could have bottled that up too and displayed it as an element.


1 comment:

  1. I like the grey-on-grey color palette. The little streak of orange is in a good spot too... and thank you for commenting on the hazards! (gas not included, ha ha)

    ReplyDelete