Saturday, March 16, 2013

Infestation

Infestation by scookster
Infestation, a photo by scookster on Flickr.

Today's assignment for the Daily Posting was to take a picture of an insect of my choice. Being that it's still winter in the Midwest there aren't enough insects to photograph. Luckily for me, we've been dealing with an infestation of Box Elder bugs all winter. We've had our share of ladybugs over the years, and of course spiders, but never had to deal with these bugs before. They are not exactly creepy. Centipedes and silver fish are creepy, and we have those too. In fact, someday I would like to live in a house free from a few of the above named insects. Or maybe free from all said bugs. Fortunately, they are easily disposed of. Within thirty minutes of waking up I caught five. And then within the next few hours I had a total of twelve. Figured that would be enough to at least capture one decent photo. The problem was that I put them in a jar, and every I took the lid off to photograph one offender, several would try to escape. I'm sure they would eventually peter out and die, so I spent a good half hour shooting and rounding up these little buggers. I wish I knew where they were entering my house. The Internet calls them "stink bugs" and the best thing to do is get rid of the things that they prefer- i.e. maple trees. Unfortunately that's not going to happen. As the weather warms I hope they find their way out the same way that they came in.

But for all I know the queen of all Box Elders is residing peacefully in my crawl space. If that's the case they are here to stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment